I recently sent an e-mail to all the actual or potential UK Fab Lab groups I could find. This is what it said:
I am part of a group that is interested in getting as many Fab Labs going in the UK as possible. We are just starting out: you can read a little about us at http://www.FabLabsUK.co.uk and http://www.meetup.com/
So far we have initial interest in Kent, Hampshire and Dorset. We are keen to see how those of us interested in Fab Labs can capitalize on co-operation; particularly in not re-inventing wheels when it comes to, for instance,
- Designing operating procedures,
- Building equipment using open-source designs
- Capitalizing on each others experience in sourcing funding.
I am attempting to contact any groups in the UK who either are Fab Labs, or who have some intention of becoming Fab Labs.
Would you be interested in a joint meeting in the New Year, to see how we can cooperate in making a UK network of Fab Labs a reality?
So far I know about:
- makespace Cambridge http://makespace.org/
- Manchester Fab Lab http://www.fablabmanchester.
- FabLab Brighton: http://fablabbrighton.org/
- MaidSafe in Troon, Scotland: http://www.maidsafefoundation.
There is a http://www.fablabs.org.uk/ website, that seems to have been born in Sheffield; but also seems to have had no activity int he last two years, as far as I can see.
If you know of any others, I’d be grateful if you could let me know, and/or pass this on.
The reason for publishing this here is that there are many groups that seem shy of publishing contact information: I’m hoping that this may reach them!